Sunday, September 21, 2008

Valencia, Spain

Our first port was Valencia, which is in the south of Spain. I wasn't too sure about it at first...we got on the shuttle bus and the first few interesting sculptures were these two. A play toy for kids that looks like a dead guy....and this gremlin thing ....not too sure....We got off the shuttle and took the bus into the older part of the city....ahhh, much better. There is a lot of Moorish influence in the architecture as you can see in this photo. And again, the narrow old quaint streets, but many of the buildings were much more brightly colored than in Barcelona.This picture below is a little blurry, but the kids were so cute....we are on a public bus and a bunch of school boys get on, I guess going to school, and though dressed very proper, they were just as loud and obnoxious as any boys their age.

Everywhere we traveled we took the public transportation. I love it, it is cheap and you got a decent feel for the people and the cities. I am sorry to any of those who disagree, but I loathe tour buses!! I do not want to be stuck with gawking tourists for 5 hours while you drive around and then get out at a few stops to take pictures!! Ok, maybe when I am older and can't walk I will like them....

So we took the public buses with the rest of the masses, used the metros, and even one taxi, and then also just walked everywhere, stopping along the way to eat at cafes and getting a little better feel for the cities.

I must say though that some of the public transportation is better than others! Paris is amazing....other cities, not so much. One time (I think it was in Barcelona) we got on a bus, but none of the stops were marked and we were trying to compare the road signs to our map....and having so much trouble! A lady next to us noticed our plight and asked us where we were trying to get to...turns out we were on the right bus, wrong direction.....oh well....we rode it to the end of its route and then rode it back the right way :) Strangely enough, the driver made us get out at the end of the route, stand on the sidewalk for about 5 minutes, and then reboard and pay again!

Supposedly the largest indoor market in the world....I guess everyone has some claim....I am a sucker for markets. I don't buy much...but I love the sensory overload!Across the street from the market is a building that has been used for hundreds of years, and still is, to settle "water disputes"... go figure! I guess the disputers still meet here on a certain day each week and have their issues decided upon.
The ceiling was hand carved woodPhoto from the garden in the "water dispute" buildingSo we leave that area and go window shopping in the old part of the city. There were so many fabric stores!! The fabrics were all beautiful, and insanely expensive. And the shops displayed these kinds of photos....I have no idea what kind of ceremony this is, or what it is for that matter. If anyone does, will you please comment and let me know?
As we were walking I looked down and realized the sidewalks seemed to be pink marble. I felt them with my hand and I really think they were....here is a picture for your own inspection!
We also passed by a huge number of men's suit and tuxedo shops. The suits were in amazing colors, and so were the ties for the tuxedos....I had never seen ties like these so I had to take pictures. I am sure we will see them in the U.S. soon, but maybe with different colors! (Sorry for the window glare!)

No comments:

Post a Comment