Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Cookies

The girls help with cookies every year for Christmas, but this year they made all the dough by themselves. They read the recipes and I just oversaw the process. Granted it took the whole day to mix the batches of dough, but they learned alot in the process.
I have so many great memories of helping Gamie bake cookies when I was little. That is really where I learned to bake. I hope my girls will also grow up with a love of cooking and baking that was passed on to me.



Learning to scrape the bowl, this is actually very difficult when you are young...I think this part was the most frustrating to them, and scraping a beater is even more difficult. It is hard to stand back and not take over!!














Gamie's hand written cookbook in the foreground, to which I have added a few of my favorites. This year we made shortbread, spritz, molasses, cut-outs, peanutbutter balls, green rice crispy treats and peppermint bark.
.








Measuring spices and learning the difference between a "T" and a "t" abbreviation.


Our finished batches of dough in the fridge. I always make the dough on one day and then bake them as needed later, it is way less stressful, and less painful to the feet and lower back!! :)


So here we go making our cut out cookies, they are flavored with mint this year. In order to make the frosting easy to use, we scoop some into a baggie, and cut a little tiny bit on the corner, then you can pipe it!
When I was little all we did is use a knife with a powdered sugar and milk mixture (instead of buttercream) I always was frustrated with not being able to make interesting designs :(!!




They rolled and cut out everything themselves












































Yes, the girls decorated all these themsleves!! I didn't do a single one!









3 comments:

  1. How fun!! I don't have ANY of gammies recipes... you're gonna have to photocopy some for me and pass them off when we visit in May! :) I know Josh would really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOOYA

    those are awesome cookies.

    I really wanna make more now and it's Jan!! what do i do??

    Snowflakes it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey would you mind sending me that recipe for the cookies and frosting. Seth will be home soon and since he missed out on christmas I plan on making cookies for the next holiday. =)

    ReplyDelete