Monday, November 30, 2009

the heart of my daughters

Hannah and Abigail and I had a wonderful girls night out a few weeks ago when Todd Agnew was in town for a concert. The concert also had Building 429...and the girls were so excited because they had never been to a "real" concert. (I told them I didn't go to a concert till I was in college....but somehow that has not deterred them from begging :)

I decided to procrastinate and waited until the last minute to buy tickets. I was going to buy them in person so I wouldn't have to pay a handling fee...they were only $15 each, so not bad. Anyway, the day of the concert, they dropped the price to $5 for the balcony. (this is in a church, so the balcony isn't very far away!) I was so thrilled to get the tickets 3 for the price of one. Once we got our seats... which were awesome...anyone was allowed to go right up to the stage. So the girls did for the end of Building 429 and the beginning of Todd Agnew...so it really didn't matter where we sat. The moral of the story, it sometimes pays to wait until the last minute!!

During the concert the lead singer from Building 429 did a presentation for World Vision. Now, we have been thinking about sponsoring a child for a long time, but quite frankly the last year has been so hard financially. As he was speaking about the needs of children in other parts of the world, Abigail started crying. She and Hannah both turned to me and asked to sponsor a child, and to help with their own money. I asked them if they wanted to wait until we got home, so they could pick one from the website? They both were adamant that they wanted one that night...my heart was so moved to see their passion and care for children who have so little.

So Abigail asked me to come with her to get one of the cards that the band leader was handing out. I knew they wanted a girl and I prayed (quickly) that the child would be from a country that the girls have a connection to. But I knew we would just get whatever card we were given. Abigail got the card and I looked at it and saw it was a little girl from Ethiopia! I was in awe...of all the countries we could have gotten!!...for those of you who don't know, my brother and sister-in-law just adopted a brother and sister from Ethiopia, so my girls were already very interested in children from this country. So cool!! :)

To see God move in my daughter's hearts and to watch them respond was such a joy. I think these are the moments you hope for as a parent, when your children's hearts are in tune with God's voice, without the persuasion of mom and dad.

2 comments:

  1. That is so special Jennifer...thank you for sharing! I am sure your girls will not only enjoy knowing they are helping someone but also sending her cards from time to time... how cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! An update! I love that the girls received a little girl from Ethiopia! How special! Maybe some day we can all travel there together, and meet your sweet sponsor child.
    Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete